Saturday, February 6, 2016

Alexis on Stitch Fix

So, I'm going to let you all in on a little known secret. While I (Alexis) love shopping for other people, I hate shopping for myself. Over the course of the last year, my size and shape have changed a bit, which is not a tragedy at all, but it's made it a tad harder to find the right fit. I get very discouraged in the dressing room, like many of you do, when something just doesn't fit the way you want it to. And I know it's not me, it's the clothes. But, it's hard to convince your mind of that... In a dressing room... With terrible lighting... Pointing out every single thing you don't want to draw attention to.

My main issue is my chest. I have a large bust, and while I have heard many a time, "I wish I had that", believe me, you don't. It's difficult finding bras in my size, let alone tops, dresses, and blazers. Most items need to be tailored, which can be a pain, and tack on more cost, but I've learned that it's necessary in order to achieve the right fit. These woes bring me to the day I decided to try Stitch Fix. I have heard of many of these online services that take the hassle out of shopping for yourself (much like what Amanda and I do for others here in Buffalo, NY). I am very short on time for myself, dislike going to malls in the evening and dodging grouchy teenagers, and just don't enjoy the fitting room experience. I answered a series of questions on their website pertaining to my size and every day style, and before long I had a lovely package waiting at my door! It was a cold and snowy day, and I knew I wouldn't be leaving the house at all, and to have 5 items personally chosen for me in a beautifully lined cardboard box while the snow was falling was the coolest thing!


I was sent a pair of pants, a cozy cardigan, a dressy top, a v-neck cocoon sleeved sweater and a bracelet. The stylist also sends you a card to give you ideas of how to pair everything with items you may already have in your closet (something that we do for clients in person). Now while my first "fix" was a hit- I kept all of the items- my second "fix" was not. I only ended up keeping a scarf and a sweater. And that's just the way life is. You're not always going to like everything that you're sent, and that's ok. There are many things I liked about this service: I got to try the clothes on in the comfort of my own home without the ill lighting of a dressing room, I had control over the price range of the clothes that were sent to me, if I didn't like something, I could send it back hassle free, and if I decided to keep all of the items, I would get a discount on the entire order. The idea of this service may not be for everyone, but I wanted to give it a try to see if they stylist could get me out of my usual grey and black wardrobe staples. Overall, I'm a fan of this service and will continue on with my "fixes"!

No comments:

Post a Comment